Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Black Box

  1. I would call this story The Black Box because the whole story talks about the black box and of what's in it.
  2. I wasn't exactly sure what was going to happen but, I thought that something bad would happen to the person who contained the sheet of paper with the black dot. The reason I thought this was because Mrs. Hutchinson, who had the black spot, was screaming "I think we ought to start over." and "I tell you it wasn't fair". Also the mood was very tense and everyone was relieved when they found out they didn't have the spot.
  3. When the end of the story wasn't given to me I was flooded with questions. I didn't feel satisfied as if there should be more descriptions on what happened next.
  4. When I was given the mystery paper I was curious on what was inside. I thought that if you had the black spot you would be told what would happen to Mrs. Hutchinson. Even though I was bursting with curiosity, I opened the paper at home to see what was in it to add more void.
  5. I was confused about the black box and what was in it. I was also confused about the black spot and what it did and why when the people didn't get the black spot they were so relieved.
  6. When I read the end of the story it made a little more sense but I was still confused. I didn't understand what the rocks had to do with the pieces of paper and the black box and why everyone was scared of the black spot.
  7. No, my predictions were not correct but I felt good that at least there was an ending and I felt much more satisfied than I did before we got the slip of paper.
  8. I think what would have helped me make a better prediction was to be given hints in class, even if they weren't obvious.
  9. I think the author left these voids in the story because it keeps the reader captivated, thinking and gives the reader a chance to imagine what happens.
  10. The void in having no title and no author information doesn't give you any idea on what you are going to be reading. Having no ending lets the reader imagine one but doesn't give you much satisfaction. The text clues and foreshadowing throughout is a type of void that can only be found if you are paying attention as it isn't very obvious. The mystery paper makes you curious and makes sure that you don't forget what happened in class. The delayed ending caused you to be unsatisfied and confused. Lastly getting no information on what we were doing caused a void because we weren't sure what was the purpose of reading this and how this was relevant to anything we had done so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment